Vertex AI Fine Tuning Pricing

Yesterday i was testing Vertex AI fine tuning with using text-bison model a 3KB file (10 examples total). The first try took about 3 hours and failed at the end while creating an endpoint, the very last step.

I tried it agiain with Compute Engine API service account another time which took around 2,3 hours and succeded. This was also with the same .jsonl file of 3 KB in size.

When i check this morning i have noticed that i was charged  $254 for this.
I would like to know why? How is this possbile?

Considering I ll have 14000+ examples on my original data, i would like to know more about htis pricing becuase this does being stated anywhere.... 

canu9_0-1714892031710.png

4 2 421
2 REPLIES 2

I just find out that the following GPU has been used where the majority of the cost is coming from.

canu9_0-1714897512790.png

canu9_1-1714897687502.png

I never chose this yet it is still ridicoulus for a 10 example 3KB jsonl file.

Ok here is the problem... When you setup your fine tuning with text-bison model, the accelerator type is automatically chosen as shown below.

canu9_2-1714899026419.png

Here are the two definitions of the accelerators:

NVIDIA A100 80GB GPU

• Most expensive option. The hourly cost can range significantly depending on the region, but it's generally considered the premium choice for heavy-duty workloads.
  • Example: In the us-central1 region, the cost could be around $3 per hour or more.

TPU 64 Core v3 Pod

• Significantly more cost-effective than A100 GPUs. TPUs are designed to offer better price-to-performance for certain machine learning workflows.
  • Complexity: Pricing for TPUs is sometimes listed per pod (which contains multiple TPU chips), making direct hourly comparisons tricky.
  • Example: In the us-central1 region, a v3-8 TPU (which is a smaller unit) costs around $1 per hour. A full pod would likely be proportionally more but still significantly less expensive than a comparable time on the A100.

(Provided by Gemini)

Yet this still does NOT explain why 10 examples took 3 hours adn costs above $200.