Can I iteratively train a fine tune model?

if I train a model and later on gather a new batch of training material. Can i further fine-tune my existing model? Or do I need to run a fine-tune job from scratch on a base model using the combined training material.

2 4 739
4 REPLIES 4

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @MuaazOsaidTahir,

Thanks for bringing this question to the Google Cloud Community. I am learning alongside all of you! You can further fine-tune your existing model with a new batch of training material which is actually one of the game-changing benefits of fine-tuning. Here's why it works and how to approach it:

Why Fine-Tuning Works This Way:

• Knowledge Retention: When you fine-tune a model, you start with a pre-trained model that has already learned general patterns and features relevant to your task. Fine-tuning adjusts those existing weights rather than starting from completely random weights. This means your model retains the knowledge from the previous training.
  • Efficiency: Further fine-tuning leverages the knowledge your model already has. This usually leads to faster convergence and better results with less data compared to training a new model from scratch.

How to Fine-Tune with New Data:

1. Combine Datasets: Simply combine your original training data with your new batch of training material.
  2. Fine-Tune Again: Use the fine-tuning process on your existing fine-tuned model. Generally, you'll want to use a slightly lower learning rate than the initial fine-tuning as you're primarily making smaller adjustments.
  3. Save and Deploy: Save your further fine-tuned model for deployment or further use.

Important Considerations:

• Data Distribution: Ensure that your new data has a similar distribution to your original data. Significant differences in the data could potentially confuse the model and decrease performance.
  • Overfitting: Be mindful of overfitting, especially if your new batch of data is small. You might need to adjust regularization or early stopping techniques.

I am by no means an expert in this area, so I encourage other's to jump in and share their perspective! Let me know if you have any specific scenarios or technologies in mind, and I can see if one of our internal SMEs can provide more tailored guidance!

Thank you for the response @Roderick !

Can I get any help on how to start the job on the custom tuned model through nodejs sdk,

I have previously tuned a model on a base model through it, now I cant find any help in the docs from where i can create a job on a tuned model.

As I am learning too always so, any help will be appreciated😊.
Thanks.

Are you perhaps looking for this documentation: 

Although this is just a sample, it might be a good place to start.

Thanks @nceniza!

I've followed this doc and I was able to start the job for tuning the base model.
But i haven't been able to find a way to tune over the model which I have already tuned.