Visualizing Percentage of Total

sundarn
Participant I

Hello, 

I have a query where I am trying to visualize Site Visits by Page Type. 

The X - Axis is Page Type, the Y Axis is Site Traffic. I have pivot on it to show the Site Traffic by Page Type for this year and last three years. 

The visualization right now is a Bar Graph. I have a Table calculation to calculate the Percentage of Total for each value on the Graph. 

I want to show Percentage of Total value on top of each Bar. What is the best way to achieve this?

1 3 2,484
3 REPLIES 3

Dawid
Participant V

Normally I do something like this:

73387b34-8d79-47ca-9e00-890f74f332b1.png

Steps:

1. Enable totals on your data
  2. Create table calculation Percentage of Total
  3. Change series type to line (EDIT → SERIES → TYPE → LINE)
  4. Put the second series on different axis (EDIT → Y → move field to RIGHT AXES)
  5. Sometimes I play with the maximum value of the main metric to make sure they are below the line chart (EDIT → Y → CONFIGURE AXES → Right 1 → MAXIMUM VALUE)

sundarn
Participant I

Hi @Dawid , Than you very much. This is helpful. I will try this out. 

@sundarn Honestly the best way to show percent of total could either be a stacked bar chart. Even a pie chart… although I would usually resort that to the last option. Another clean looking thing to do is just doing a simple legacy or contingency table and sorting the site traffic % of total from greatest to smallest in a table with page type to the left. This is a good way to display the raw data (number of visits to teach site within a given X time frame) but you can also show totals in the table and contingency color the percent of total in a nice muted color. It doesn’t have to be vibrant.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors