New Explore field picker issues

antho
Participant IV

Hi all!

I was playing with the new Explore field picker since our instance has been upgraded last night and I had to deactivate the feature almost immediately due to some very annoying issues:

• Using the search feature, I did a DATE search and the new explore field picker was showing like 15 date fields whereas, in our current version we only have 2 because we have a lot of hidden dimensions. So it seems the search is doing a search in the model and not in the fields shown in the UI but I’m not sure. Anyway, I could not keep it like this because it would be really too much confusing for our end users.

• Also, there is a bug in the scroll bar: if you do a search and you get a lot of results, you want to click on the scroll bar to see the other fields in the list but clicking on the bar makes it disappear so at the end, you are not able to scroll…

I’m totally aware it’s a beta feature so no problem! Just wanted to bring it to your attention 😉

Thanks a lot!
Have a great day,

Antho

0 12 528
12 REPLIES 12

Hi Antho,

Thanks for trying out the new field picker and sharing your feedback with us! We’ll take a look at these issues and make sure they’re addressed as we continue to improve the feature. Feel free to reach out with any other feedback - about the field picker, or Explore in general. 😃

Best,
Ani (Explore PM)

Scott_Schaen
Participant II

I had an issue too where none of my “parameter” filters showed up in the new field picker. I was told this is a bug and fixed in the next version.

I liked the update with my limited use, although search will take some getting used to. Something like “date” might exist in 10 view and it’s easier to see those fields under their views in the field picker rather than list form hovering under the search box.

braedonsz
Participant I

Hey Ani,

Lots of cool changes, but wanted to give some more general feedback on the new field picker UI;
the ‘symbols’ and new spacing don’t do much for readability. It seems ‘A’ is meant to denote a string (# and a checkmark for numbers and booleans), but it looks quite clumsy being the same font and size as the dimension name - My string dimension ‘Coupon’, for example, now reads as ‘A Coupon’. The checkmark looks like a dimension is selected or applied rather than denoting a boolean. The folder carets also get lost in the list. Spacing allows about 1/2 the dimensions and measures visible, causing a lot more scrolling.

Our users prefer the explicit ‘i’ information icon in the older explore experience, with hover tooltips

For some reason our explore titles in the top left are now lower case? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks Scott! The search feedback is great - definitely something we’re considering and will continue to improve.

Hi Braedon,

Thanks for sharing! We’re continuing to synthesize feedback and iterate on how to best surface field context - your feedback here is really helpful.

Best,
Ani

Dawid
Participant V

I can see weird double scrollbars even if the content is not long enough to scroll.

Also the headers should have a background for better contrast!

moebe
Participant V

The same behaviour at our end as well.
And we also think that the “view_labels” should be marked off by a background

@Dawid @moebe Thanks for flagging - this is definitely on our list of UI polish/improvements and should be addressed in an upcoming release. 👍

2 Observations:

1. Dimensions/Measures with particularly long names are truncated w/ “…”. I preferred the word-wrap treatment.
  2. Descriptions now require clicking on the “info” icon, as opposed to having hover-based tool tips. I find it harder to browse as a result.

Dawid
Participant V

The horizontal scroll becomes active when the icons extend the content.

I am quite disappointed to be honest. It could have been good upgrade but unfortunately it looks like not a lot of research or testing has been done : (

roryor11
Participant I

It would be nice if there was the possibility to hide the view names, so then you could set up your own hierarchy and buckets.

In my case I would like remove the view names and then split my fields by  Dates, Dims, Measures. 

Dawid
Participant V

@roryor11 you can already do that. Either in view fiels you can use label property or even on the level of fields you can use view_label that basically means the name of the section above the groups

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors