Hide Pivoted Column

We have a case where we can’t filter a pivot because it would affect a table calculation, but we’re only interested in a subset of the pivoted results. For now, there are many extra series in the visualization that are disabled. I would be nice to have the “Hide from visualization” option affect each individual column rather than every column with the same key.

2 34 6,846
34 REPLIES 34

msh210
Participant IV

You can click the colorful indicator in the legend to hide that column. I believe this persists when the look is saved. Not exactly what you want, but hopefully helpful.

Yeah, @JohnLemberger as @msh210 suggested, hiding the series in the visualization is probably the best option for the immediate term. I’ll make sure that our product folk get eyes on this, though

Hey Rachel, Is there a way to remove on the of the values in the pivot column? When I select hide from visualization for the pivoted column it hides all the categories under the column.

Hey @SubhasreeC,

At this time there is not a way to hide only one column within the pivot from the visualization, but I will definitely let the product team know this is something you’d like to see! Hiding one series is possible via the visualization legend and by holding the option key while clicking as shown above.

Hi @cutler, have you implemented this feature by any chance ?

Thanks in advance

PS : additional question, would it be possible to hide a column based on total calculations ? or display only the first n columns, ranked by the total of the measure, instead of the alphabetical order of the column pivot name ?

The feature isn’t implemented, but you can mimic it by creating table calculations using pivot_where() or something or something similar to duplicate the columns you do want and then hiding the entire underlying field.

• 1 for this feature

• 1 for this feature

chy353
Participant I

++1 for this too!

+1 for this feature as well, please!

• 1 for this feature !

Thanks, @cutler, this approach worked visually at least. However applying this to multiple tiles within one dashboard has unfortunately led to almost unusable load times.

I have a table aggregating one measure while pivoting by time frame, with some simple table calculations for % change from each previous time frame to the current time frame (MoM, YoY, etc.). Then I have pivot_where() applied to the table calculations themselves to only display results for the current time frame, with all underlying columns hidden as suggested. Seems pretty straightforward, but I guess the pivoting + table calculations + pivot_where on top of table calculations wreaks some havoc.

I’m all ears if someone has discovered a better solution for this! In the meantime, +1 for this feature 😄

+1 for this feature

+1 for this feature

DiegoFuego
Participant I

+1 for this feature

+1

+1 for this feature

+1 for this feature

+1 for this feature

+1 for this feature

spolo
Participant I

+1

hwimoon
Participant II

+1

+1 for this feature.

--

With the “Table” layouts, I can’t find a way to hide a specific pivot value (while it’s available on other visualisation layouts).

--

Edit: Fixed with @lexideveaux solution (message below) 

Hi all, 

I would recommend hiding columns under a pivot by using the pivot_index() to select the columns you want to show. So for example, if I want to only SHOW the count measure under the cancelled pivoted value : 

5479d242-1092-4d3d-ba98-2f2088f4cb40.png

i can create a table calc pivot_index(${orders.count},1) 

27baed98-98dd-4e27-b544-284a2e61a155.png

And then hide the original measure. Now in my visualization only the cancelled count table calc will show

I love all the creative ideas here and the community rallying together to make this a feature. It’s a +1 from me dog. 

​​​​​​+1 this feature.
Pivot index calculations are very far from ideal. They come with a huge cost in loading time and when building dashboards this time is very precious. I see that the early mentions to this request are dating back to more than 5 years. 

I would very much appreciate if the developer team could give an update about their plans or not to implement a solution to hide pivoted individual columns.

Thank you

I’m amazed this is not supported yet. All workarounds are pretty much impractical when the table contains lots of relevant dimensions.

+1 this feature

It’s been 5 years since the topic was opened and still unsuported, which is amazingly slow ?

+1 for this feature for sure but it’s probably will be released in 10 years I guess.

+1 from me as well. Pls. We all need it.

+1 for this feature as well.

+2 for this feature from me.

+10 from me

Dawid
Participant V

This feature has been released. You get a new “hide” option for pivots

7bd0115d-a660-49df-a04e-bed076443de4.png
cf618f42-a354-4c18-9205-4ed7bf7fe439.png

Along with doing the same for a particular column of a measure (in case you’re pivoting multiple measures)

61b36419-2c6e-4785-ac41-df6310a8a9d8.png
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors