Grouping Zip Code Dimensions with Custom Fields

jpklwr

Hello all!

We’ve recently began using the Custom Fields labs feature. One of the quirks we’ve run into is the inability to group Zip Code type dimensions.

We have no trouble creating the Custom Dimension to group by Zip Code, and the modals work just fine. But when it comes time to actually run the query, we get this error:

193ef5af-3e9a-4010-b4c9-f71efad23689.png

Initially, I thought that Zip Code dimensions just may not be supported in Custom Dimensions (similar to how they’re not able to be referenced in Custom Filters or Table Calculations), but reviewing the Looker docs tells me otherwise.

The docs specifically indicate that Zip Codes are supported in the Group custom fields. (the green “ZC” badge in the screenshot below)

e55f013a-f294-4a3c-a7ae-e5fbd7dc7d80.png

Has anyone else run into this problem?

0 2 538
2 REPLIES 2

Can you show us sample data table and the code for your custom dimension? I will run something similar on my end to see if it’s a bug

jpklwr

Can you show us sample data table and the code for your custom dimension? I will run something similar on my end to see if it’s a bug

Here’s a quick gif of creating a similar custom dimension. I used the native “Group” option as opposed to defining one with code, because zip codes type fields do not return in the code input for custom dimensions or table calculations.

8451c2f7-ebd0-498a-ab41-32bafc7cdeb0.gif
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors