Grouping items in the column

danske

I have a table of a lot of items’ sales per location (pivoted). Can I group some of the items in the column.

Instead of having jeans, t-shirts, baseball caps(headwear), beanies (headwear), sweaters, visors (headwear) I’d like the column to be jeans, t-shits, sweaters, headwear (all items). 

Thanks for your help, probably an easy one!

0 1 1,096
1 REPLY 1

eric_h

Are you a developer on this Looker instance? (Do you have access to the “Develop” tab at the top of the page?)

If so, you can create a new dimension using a CASE statement in the sql: parameter. It would look something like:

dimension: new_category {
type: string
sql:
CASE
WHEN ${your_category_column} IN ('baseball caps', 'beanies', 'visors') THEN 'headwear'
ELSE ${your_category_column}
END ;;
}

The reason I’d do this in the sql: parameter instead of using the built-in case: parameter is that the built in case parameter won’t let you use substitution syntax (the ${column} syntax) to label things, which is a pain when you have more than a handful of columns to bucket.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if there’s any way to do this from the explore itself. Hope that helps!

-------------------------------

P.S. If you want to overwrite the original column so you see “Category” in the explore, you can add label: “Category” to this new dimension and add hidden: yes to the original category dimension

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors