Question

Feature Request: Collapse All Dimension Group Labels

• 22 February 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a ton of columns in certain explores and a lot of them have been grouped together but it would be great if there was a collapse / expand all button in the explore so end users aren’t immediately inundated with columns.

7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @tyang,

The ability to collapse/expand fields in an explore is currently unavailable. However, this is great feedback that I am happy to relay to the product team. Please let me know if there is any additional information, about a specific use case for example, that you would like me to include.

Best,

Leticia

Userlevel 1

Hey @tyang,

To correct myself in my response, I believe it is possible to accomplish what we want using the group_label parameter. The group_label parameter enables us to combine fields into custom groups, within a given view, in the Field Picker. For example, let’s say we have this explore of the view products:

We can see all of the fields in this view via the Explore UI. When we implement the group_label parameter like so:

we can see that the fields assigned to that group label can be collapsed like the following:

and expanded:

There is more information about group_label here:

Some important points of this documentation are that we can apply this parameter also at an explore level and that the ability to group both dimensions and measures under the same group label is currently unavailable. Please let me know if I can clarify anything about this on my end.

Also, if this approach has already been implemented, and you are encountering issues or unexpected behavior (ex: if group_label sections start expanded), please visit help.looker.com. This will ensure that we can collect more information about your example and the issue.

Thanks,

Leticia

Userlevel 1

Thanks @leticia.esparza. I do have group labels implemented and that is actually the issue. I have about 4 groups in a view with lots of columns but it starts expanded which kinda defeats the purpose of saving space by grouping them together.

I will definitely let support know though. Thank you!

Is there a short cut for this? I too have explores with a lot dimensions and measures. Would be nice to have a short cut or button to collapse all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There isn’t a shortcut for this, but that’s a very utilitarian idea. I’ll add it to our internal records for tracking.

I wonder if it’s something that could be jerry-rigged up with some javascript as an extension or bookmark?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Definitely possible:

I just added this as a bookmark:

$(".df-field-group-toggler").filter(function(){

return $(this).parents(".field-group").find(".group").length > 0;

}).trigger("click");

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

SO COOL. I almost didn’t write that, because I wasn’t sure if it would be true or not. Glad I did! Nice work Dawid.