Creating Visualizations

Hello all,

im new to looker from PBI. curious to know how most of you are using measures and dimensions to plot visuals in looker...so far the only way i have figured out how to use these two together is to select  3 fields (2 dimensions - 1 categorical , 1 numeric)  and the corresponding numeric measure. I have to hide the numeric dimension for this to work. this is obviously not intuitive for my users. any other methods im missing? just to add, i am not trying to aggregate my measures, just want to plot the true values

69d88cb8-1bdb-4724-b012-409fabcd30a3.png
Solved Solved
1 1 125
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is the way, though I would use a unique (primary key) field to hide if you need to show one value per key + date, otherwise it could be that you have the same value on the same date and that would aggregate your measure. 

But what you’re doing is correct if you want to plot all singular data points. You need to have the context in SQL for the granularity of data returned, hence something that makes sure there’s one row per entity per day but of course you don’t need it in the viz, therefore you have to hide it.

It may not be intuitive if people don’t really understand what they want to do. If you have a measure that means it’s an aggregation, so you need a certain level of detail to preserve the granularity. I think the key is to make people aware of it because I don’t even see what kind of workaround we could use here.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

That is the way, though I would use a unique (primary key) field to hide if you need to show one value per key + date, otherwise it could be that you have the same value on the same date and that would aggregate your measure. 

But what you’re doing is correct if you want to plot all singular data points. You need to have the context in SQL for the granularity of data returned, hence something that makes sure there’s one row per entity per day but of course you don’t need it in the viz, therefore you have to hide it.

It may not be intuitive if people don’t really understand what they want to do. If you have a measure that means it’s an aggregation, so you need a certain level of detail to preserve the granularity. I think the key is to make people aware of it because I don’t even see what kind of workaround we could use here.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors