Can we being back uppercase to PIVOT/FILTER buttons?

Dawid
Participant V
37f5c13e-3b18-4195-92a9-cf6ed06752fe.png

It looked much neater with `PIVOT` and `FILTER`

Why don’t we get detailed information about those UI changes BEFORE the release?

0 3 202
3 REPLIES 3

er1k
Participant V
37f5c13e-3b18-4195-92a9-cf6ed06752fe.png

It looked much neater with `PIVOT` and `FILTER`

Why don’t we get detailed information about those UI changes BEFORE the release?

To be honest, then I don’t remember any functionalities that have brought back. It’s a machine moving forward. We need to adapt. 😄 I have been with the new layout for a while now and getting used with it. Only thing I don’t understand yet is why field name truncation is necessary in the new layout.

Generally, I would consider this such a minor change that I wouldn’t expect it to be noted in the release notes. If I were guessing, I’d say that perhaps this is related to the new field picker UI and making things cross-compatible (as that uses capitalcase). To Eriks point, we are moving towards that new field picker UI anyways, so the machine moves ever forward indeed. 

Our release notes are very comprehensive for any kind of potentially breaking change, and we do count system wide font/color changes as part of that since they disrupt the user experience. We didn’t consider an upper->lowercase shift worth noting, but appreciate the feedback on it. We had a fairly cool idea a long time ago that I quite liked that would do something basically like an integration test that visually identified changes between versions, so we’d not only catch every single visual change version to version, but would also be able to automatically take screenshots of the updated version for inclusion in release notes. A really neat idea, but quite a lot of work! 

Another word about these UI changes: More and more, we are eating our own dogfood and using Looker Components (I’m actually in their planning meeting right now, while I write this!) throughout Looker. This means that more and more, UI changes will be easily auditable via the components repo which is open-source, as well as open for PRs. If you wanted to edit the way that Pivots display in the new field picker, for example: You could see and contribute here.

Only thing I don’t understand yet is why field name truncation is necessary in the new layout.

@er1k I believe the truncation shift is part of a move towards google design standards which are not fans of wrapping. We’ve added behavior so that hovering shows the full field name in a tooltip, let us know what you think (perhaps in a different topic :wink: )

0d8d3aea-4f75-4376-abfd-3da570436fc7.png
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors