Calculating the max date in a column

Hi All

is there a way to calculate the maximum (last) date in a column?
I was thinking something as simple as " max( {$table.date} ) " but this doesnt work.

3 11 21.3K
11 REPLIES 11

Hi @GenDemo , It looks like you forgot to change dimension to measure 🙂, whenever you use functions like max,count,sum etc. then it has to be measure.

measure: last_updated_date {
type: date
sql: MAX(${updated_raw}) ;;
convert_tz: no
}

If you are still getting error or some other case then it would help if you can share us the dimension lookml you written and sql generated behind it.

Reference : https://help.looker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023425454-Max-or-Min-Date-Measure

Hi
Thnx for your reply, however, I mean in a table calculation. So in the LookML in the background, the data field is a dimension_group. But I want to do calculations off the max/latest date in a column in my report.

We would have many use cases for calculating the max/latest date using a Table Calculation or Customer Measure/Dimension! Does anyone know how to do this?

Hi @Todd_Osborne ,

I think @Krishna_Shukla’s answer further up the thread covers what you’re looking for - might be worth taking a look at that and seeing how you go!

Thanks, Adam

Yes date functions in table calculations are much needed. Sometimes you don’t want to put everything in the lookML

It possible to do this in a calculation. Example:

add_days(max(diff_days(to_date(“1900-01-01”),${my_table.date})),to_date(“1900-01-01”))

This example assumes your earliest date is Jan 1, 1900. If your earliest date is before then, my experimentation says you’ll have to add 1 day as Looker computes the day off by 1 for me.

I concur most definately

no this doesnt actually work.
This method calculates the max in each line, so it ends us just giving you the same value as the raw number.

Quinns solution works perfectly from what I can tell.

Its been a while now, but I think I was referring to Krishna’s reply.
max(${TABLE}.LastReviewedOn);;
does not work.

Below approach worked for me. With it, I can filter on max date.

dimension: last_updated_date_interim {
    type: string
    hidden: yes
    sql: (SELECT MAX(SNAPSHOT_DATE) FROM "my_schema"."my_table_name");;
  }

dimension: last_updated_date_filter {
    type: yesno
    sql:  ${last_updated_date_interim}::date = ${snapshot_date};;
  }
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors