Embed User Attributes + Display Filters

j3ven7

We are in the process of deciding if Looker Embed is the right option for us. 

We have a fairly standard use-case for SSO embedding -- we have customers that we would like to be able to provide looker dashboards for in our customer portal. Each customer would be looking at the same dashboards, but naturally, we will not want customers to see data outside of their company’s data. 

My question is this: Is there a way to serve the same embedded dashboard to each customer with a few filters they can see/modify, like timeframe, while also filtering on something like “company” under the hood?

It seems like this example is doing something similar https://docs.looker.com/reference/explore-params/access_filter with access filters, but in this example of User Attributes it’s not clear to me if one can disable certain dashboard filters, like “Company”, while leaving others, like timeframe, on.

0 2 1,092
2 REPLIES 2

You are correct that it would work with a combination of access_filter and user attributes.  The user attribute value gets encoded in the embed URL and then your Looker models use access_filter to limit what data is returned.  The access_filter will also apply to dimensions you reference in dashboard filters, so you can have a company filter but for embedded users it would only show what they are supposed to have access to.

Did you manage to go through this use-case? I could need to implement something similar with a SSO Embedding.

One dashboard must be embed on a website and be available to many users (let's say 500+). Each user should access the website with the credentials with which they registered on an Digital Identity Provider. Once they are authenticated to the website, the dashboard must appear filtered based on the value of a code (similar to the SSN in the US) that is unique for each user, with no possibility for users to change that filter in dashboard. (the idea is that each user must see only the data that is related to itself. 500 users = 500 ID)

For each user, we have a column in our DB that contains the exact value of their code. That's why I was thinking to use an access filter at the explore level in LookML + the user attribute "id_code" to filter the dashboard in the background.

As of my understanding, to reach this solution each looker embed user that are generated after the authentication on the website(up to 500+ embed users) need to be associated with a value for the user attribute "id_code".

Is there a way in which, when the user authenticate itself on the website, the value for the code is passed as a user attribute and then "stored" with the embed user information? And where this step can be implemented?

Really thanks in advance for replying.