Why are dashboards with "preferred_viewer: dashboards-next" loading legacy dashboards as of yesterday [10/28]?

As of yesterday [10/28], when I open a dashboard that has the “preferred_viewer: dashboards-next” parameter, it takes me to the legacy dashboard experience which does not handle a lot of my formatting.

I am still able to manually change the url by adding the “-next” tag and loading it in, however this is not helpful for anyone using my dashboards.

How can I have the dashboards-next load automatically without changing admin permissions?

1 5 211
5 REPLIES 5

I found this while googling for the same exact problem. Did you ever find a reason or solution outside of this thread?

Hi @ssurendranath 

Looker staff responded to a ticket I put in, however, the fixes and updates have not corrected this issue yet.  Planning on putting in another support ticket this week.

Thanks for the feedback @minerkt. Glad it’s not just me and that there is work being done to get it fixed.

Hello @minerkt. One of the members in our internal data organization found that in the URLs that /dashboards/ actually point to the new UI without needing it to be /dashboards-next/.

Then upon digging with that assumption, I found this article that explains why. Looker has changed the URL to dashboards and that may be why the preferred_viewer: dashboards-next parameter isn’t working as intended. So removing it from the LookML code should effectively get both of us the desired behavior we wanted initially.

(I’d double check on your version of Looker though and compare it to the article.)

Hey @ssurendranath ,

I think the issue at my company is that only a few have adopted the “Next” dashboard experience and therefore, the situation you are describing only works if the admin legacy dashboards feature is active (default now is deactivated).

As to not break dashboards using the legacy versions, we need a fix.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors