Weighted Average of three calculation totals in a dashboard

Hi, 

I am stuck with a relatively simple issue. Nevertheless, I have the feeling that the solution might be quite complicated:

I have a Dashboard with three Looks. In every look there are Number of Orders, Revenue and costs. Additonally, there are two simple calculations for total margin and margin share. These three Looks are now sitting in my Dashboard and what I would love to have is one Number on top of the Dashboard that shows me the weighted average (based on number of orders) margin share of the 3 totals from the Looks. 

What is the easiest way to achieve this? 

Solved Solved
0 4 345
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcdufault
Participant II

Hello Alex, 

If I understand correctly, you could achieve this through merged queries. Explore one of your Looks and in the look-creation UI click in the cogwheel in the upper right corner and select “Merge Results”. From there you will have to recreate the other 2 looks and merge by their common dimension. Once everything is in the same “Look” you can make a table calculation leveraging all 3 numbers. You might have to get creative with sums and pivots but it should be doable.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jcdufault
Participant II

Hello Alex, 

If I understand correctly, you could achieve this through merged queries. Explore one of your Looks and in the look-creation UI click in the cogwheel in the upper right corner and select “Merge Results”. From there you will have to recreate the other 2 looks and merge by their common dimension. Once everything is in the same “Look” you can make a table calculation leveraging all 3 numbers. You might have to get creative with sums and pivots but it should be doable.  

Hi @jcdufault,

thank you so much for your response. As recreating the looks in the merge will be quite some work, I have one question before I get started. Could it be an issue to get weighted average of the three numbers if they originate from a calculation in the three seperate looks? Or does it make no difference if its a meassure, count, calculation etc.? 

jcdufault
Participant II

Hi @alex_leonhard 

If you make the table calculation in each query, it will be passed on to the merged results so you can leverage these as you would a regular measure in a table calculation.

thank you very much for your help!

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors