Question

Value label column chart cropped

Userlevel 2
Badge

I changed my column chart to bar chart, in order to test what would be easier for people to read and noticed that if I do that, the label of the most negative field goes outside of the viewport.

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

Similar problem with bar chart. The label goes out of the space (marked by grey line) and almost touches the dimension label

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

I’ve been having this problem for quite a long time: when I create a column chart, the value label of the biggest column never displays properly. It seems that the y axis is dynamic depending on the value of the column but it does not consider extra space for the label. (I am not sure if this happens for other visualizations since I didn’t try it.)

It can be “solved” if I fix the y axis range but then it is not dynamic. I believe this should be solved by making the y axis dynamic depending if it has a label or so it can accommodate some extra space for it.

Same thing happens for small values, when the column is too small, the total label does not show.

We are having the exact same issue.

A shame, because it really stands out on a viz.

Looker can we get this fixed please?

Thanks

James

Userlevel 6
Badge

I thought it was only because of my 80% zoom. Sometimes it fixes itself but sometimes I do experience it as well

Userlevel 2
Badge

@m-fernandes We also experienced this and communicated it to support. Hope it is fixed in one of the next releases.

On a related note, when the bar for a dimension is too small (compared to other dimensions), the value label also disappears… In your image, for example, there may be 1 or 2 for category 500-999 but this is not known without the label.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you! I’ve edited the post to consider that case too.

we have the same issue, hope looker will fix it soon

Hi,

those are some other example where this issue also happens, generally if there were 2 values that are close one or both of them don’t show, a work around is possible by changing the column to point but that only work for up to 2 values not more. hope this get sorted soon.

Best Regards,

He have this exact issue as well. Looking forward to a fix!

We’re finding that this spoils the look of our column charts, looking forward to seeing it resolved.

The same is happening with me while I am using Bar Charts -

The top bar data is getting cut.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Pleeeeeeease!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Moving some posts over from another thread…

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We patched this one up. It should be fixed in Looker v7.8.22 onwards. Thanks for the reports!

We see this still happening in cases where the vaules are rotated. We rotate values often in column charts in order to have them displayed on each column. A fix for this would be very nice, because it spoils the look of bar charts with rotated values.

We’re on 7.20.41 and still seeing this issue.