Question

Unpin Axis from zero - but setting a minimum value that is a percentage or function

• 5 July 2017
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I have a question about the Unpin from zero. I want to set a minimum value so the lowest value will at least appear a little bit on the chart. I don’t want to set a fixed minimum value since the view will be in dashboard and continually change based the parameters selected. Basically I want to know if the the smallest value is 70 for example can I set the minimum value to be x percent of the smallest value (so smallest value(ex 70) * 95%) or something like 5 numbers below the smallest value (70-5 = 65 ). Is there any way to put in a function of some sort in the minimum value.

Then if I rerun the same report with different parameters and the minimum value is 80, I’d like set the minimum value to automatically be higher.

No fixed minimum

5 replies

Hi Daniel, thanks for your question!

Right now we do not have a way to make the axis adapt dynamically, but I will pass this on to the product team for you!

What you are missing in this case is not the value itself, but the y-axis label that corresponds to the smallest value. One workaround would be to increase the y-axis density. You can read more about how to do that here.

Think this would be really useful. I’m coming across a similar obstacle where I’m trying to show a daily variance. I want there to be a gridline for y=0 somewhere near the middle of my chart so it’s really clear if a value is above or below that line. If I could take the maximum absolute variance and set both maximum and minimum using that it would be ideal. At the moment I’m adding arbitrary limits, which aren’t great when you’re likely to change filters.

Hi @Simon_Burns,

I understand where you’re coming from and I’m happy to pass on your thoughts along to our Product team.

In the meantime, I would recommend using the reference line to create a min or max variance. For example, if I have a goal that’s based on the min of a specific dimension (or measure), I would use this type of formatting in the label: {{min}}, so that min is dynamic based on the present data even if filters are changed.

If you have more specific questions based on your use case please visit help.looker.com and we will be more than happy to help.

I see this received some attention years ago but wanted to know if there was any movement on it since then. 

Hi All,

I’m also interested in this feature - A dynamic minimum point for the Y axis would make life a lot easier, I believe.

My specific use case is surrounding a Waterfall (I’ve adapted a Stacked Column chart due to the required additional functionality that the inbuilt Waterfall couldn’t provide). My starting point is 10,000+, and my individual waterfall movements are between 1-100. I’ve accounted for this by setting the minimum axis to around 1% below my starting point - but any filters applied to this visual (which is a key requirement) don’t adjust the axis (as expected), so the visual becomes meaningless.

I’d be very, very interested in the ability to dynamically set a minimum/maximum - either as a calculation or through a variable. Is this something that’s possible (I’m presuming not at present), else is this something that could be looked into as a future feature?

I’ve attached two screenshots showing my use case in a little more detail (numbers fudged to ensure confidentiality).

Thanks,

Sam