Single Value viz not showing the correct value

For a dashboard I have created I have a tile which is supposed to show the percentage change from previous the previous week for a measure.  I have a date column summed up to a week, my measure, and then the calculated field for percent change from previous.  I hid the first two columns, leaving just the calculated field left.  When I view the viz in an explore it shows the correct value I would expect to see.  But the single value viz itself either shows the wrong value or gives me back a null symbol.  Any advice as to why this might be happening would be great! If you’d like more context please feel free to comment.

1 3 889
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @j_witty ,

If you can share a screenshot containing the Visualization and Data, I might be able to help.

In my experience with Single Value visualizations, organizing your columns is key.  Typically the first unhidden column on the left will populate as the single value.  Adding an additional column beneath the single value needs to use the Show Comparison option toggled in the visualization dropdown.

962b5278-91f9-4a2a-bb75-24ef5041f4bb.png

If you are trying to get a table calculation as the Single Value, it has to be the only column not hidden and the Show Comparison option must be off.

Again, if you can send a screenshot of what you are seeing, I could help more.

Take care!

Hi @minerkt 

Thanks for getting back to me!  Below is the screen shot of the value I am expecting to see come through in my Single Value visual.  But rather than showing 8% my visual is coming back with 20% and no where in that calculated field does the value 20% show up.  (rows are limited to 5 for organization purposes, did a check on max rows). Now i’m wondering if it might have to do with taking this value as a weekly summation.

4a2d61c6-4ce2-4a00-9bee-fafae5c3442b.png

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Hey @j_witty ,

Thanks for the screenshot.  That is interesting that you are getting 20% instead of 8%.

I am wondering a few things here:

• You have a number of rows and therefore I wonder how the single value is trying to decide which to use in the calculated row.  Maybe it is trying to do an average or something unseen.  Perhaps limiting it to just the one row and then having a separate explore for the five rows could help.
  • Perhaps the row limit is not actually changing the results, but rather just showing the top five.  You could add a filter above to show just the last five weeks and see if that helps.
  • This could also be a Looker issue of the single value having some difficulty, but also not positive.

Feel free to try either of my ideas and if one works, then great!

Top Labels in this Space