Show legend on Map

I have created a map with orders and I would like to show legend name. I don’t happen to see an option to do it now. Is there a way I could show legend name on a map?

8fcc726e-9df2-4411-95de-f4132fccc332.png
Solved Solved
0 1 1,141
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @aashishma

I can’t see a Legend Name option here, however one option you have is to customise a Measure using Custom Fields. This will allow you to be a bit more descriptive in the Legend about what the colour scale is referring to.

The example I have used is number of Customers by State here and the output legend looks like this:

f67b64a4-90c7-40e1-b6c2-36a213fcbe34.png

I added the field with “Customers” on the end by going to:

1. Custom Fields
  2. ‘New’ → Custom Measure
  3. Finding the User’s ‘ID’ field
  4. Selecting Count Distinct as the measure type
  5. Choosing ‘Custom’ as the formatting option 
  6. Finding the right format for the number (#,##0 for 1,234) here
  7. Adding “Customers” to the end

steps 2 - 7 look like this in Looker:

4fe93a2b-4fbe-4487-8d3d-9ed6a798bcfa.png

You can then replace the measure in your visualisation with this one and the Legend will update.

I know it’s not a perfect fix but hopefully it will give anyone using the chart a bit more information about what they’re looking at.

It might also be worth asking for the Legend Name option to be added by raising a request with the Looker team, you can find out how to do that here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Connor | Redkite

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @aashishma

I can’t see a Legend Name option here, however one option you have is to customise a Measure using Custom Fields. This will allow you to be a bit more descriptive in the Legend about what the colour scale is referring to.

The example I have used is number of Customers by State here and the output legend looks like this:

f67b64a4-90c7-40e1-b6c2-36a213fcbe34.png

I added the field with “Customers” on the end by going to:

1. Custom Fields
  2. ‘New’ → Custom Measure
  3. Finding the User’s ‘ID’ field
  4. Selecting Count Distinct as the measure type
  5. Choosing ‘Custom’ as the formatting option 
  6. Finding the right format for the number (#,##0 for 1,234) here
  7. Adding “Customers” to the end

steps 2 - 7 look like this in Looker:

4fe93a2b-4fbe-4487-8d3d-9ed6a798bcfa.png

You can then replace the measure in your visualisation with this one and the Legend will update.

I know it’s not a perfect fix but hopefully it will give anyone using the chart a bit more information about what they’re looking at.

It might also be worth asking for the Legend Name option to be added by raising a request with the Looker team, you can find out how to do that here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Connor | Redkite

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors