SEO dashboard for multilanguage website

Flo2

Hello. I want to build a dashboard on looker to keep track of my SEO impressions, users, (etc.) by languages. My website is built like this:

xxx.com/ => FR urls

xxx.com/en => EN urls (the homepage is .com/en and the other pages are .com/en/...)

I would like to know what kind of filters or whatever should I use to create separate dashboards based on the URL structure (.com/ and .com/en), using different types of data (GSC, Analytics). I am sure there are formulas available however I can’t find them

For instance if I want to create a dashboard to keep track of SEO impressions I will select:

• data source: search console
  • dimension: year month
  • metric: for instance “impressions”

And then create separate dashboards:

• one filtered on URLs starting with “xxx.com/” without the URLs starting with “xxx.com/en”
  • one filtered on URLs starting with “xxx.com/en”

Thanks

0 5 1,300
5 REPLIES 5

Hello Flo, 

I think the easiest way to do that would be to create a new dimension to track if you url refers to an english page or not. In LookML it would look like this:

dimension: url_language {
label: "Page URL Language"
type: string
sql: CASE WHEN ${url} ilike '%/en/%'
THEN 'English' ELSE 'French' END ;;
}

With ${url} referring to your URL dimension already declared in your view file. Then you can use this dimension as a filter to select one or both languages or use it as a dimension to group your measures by.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Flo2

Thanks a lot, it helps but unfortunately I cannot find by what I have to replace url in ${url}. I have connected GSC, I have data because I have a dashboard that shows the impressions from the entire website, however I cannot validate the formula. These are the data I have access to on GSC.

3b3a79c0-7d8b-42ff-8dc6-960bcf0691a1.png

Sorry this looks like it’s from Looker Studio and not Looker. My best guess would be to leverage the landing page (if it’s a URL) but I can’t speak to Looker Studio’s functionalities to extract or parse a string. There is a separate community forum for Looker Studio and might get more luck there: https://support.google.com/looker-studio/community?hl=en

Sorry for bumping this, did you manage to do it flo2?

Creating separate SEO dashboards for different URL structures is a smart move. I've used Looker for similar tasks. You're on the right track with filtering based on URLs. To ensure accuracy, you might also want to consider using custom dimensions or filters based on language codes in your URLs. This way, you can track SEO performance more precisely. Also, check out this guide on How SEO increases sales. Keep experimenting, and you'll nail it!

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors