Selectively Hide Value Labels from a Visualization with "transparent" Color

The “transparent” color in Looker can be used to hide many different elements of a visualization. One useful way to use this color is to selectively hide value labels.

Currently, in Looker, the value label setting operates on all value labels; it’s not possible to apply labels to specific series. Fortunately, it’s very easy to work around this by using the transparent color in the ‘Series Colors’ option.

(Sneak Peek! We will soon be introducing additional visualization settings that will make this method unnecessary. Keep an eye on those release notes!)

Here’s the result set I’m going to work with:

In the image below, I’ve toggled on ‘Value Labels’ and ‘Totals Labels’. I’d like to hide the value label for the green ‘Yes’ series but keep the others.

The input to ‘Value Colors’ corresponds to the series in the order that they are listed in the legend. By using white, transparent in the ‘Value Colors’ setting, I’ve hidden the ‘Yes’ series.

2 5 3,145
5 REPLIES 5

Is there a way to set a transparency/opacity other than 100% and 0%?

I’m trying to see the scatter points that appear behind a bar chart and I can’t change the order that the elements render in. Ideally I could set the bar color to have 50% transparency.

Hey Brayden! I don’t think this is possible right now, but I’ll forward the feedback to Product.

ross2

Thanks for this workaround! Looking forward to the additional visualization settings in the future.

Pro tip: use ‘transparent’ as a color option in the ‘Value Colors’ field to prevent the value labels from showing up. i.e. “black, black, transparent, transparent”

Hi,

So i was trying to apply this awesome hack, but it seem not to be working any idea how to troubleshoot this? or is there any other way to get the same result.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors