Question

(Resolved) Font Awesome

• 23 May 2019
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I’ve seen a few examples using Font Awesome. I can’t figure it out. How do I add it to my dashboard?

Thanks a lot 🙂

9 replies

Hi @JakubD

I think FontAwesome is used by Looker so the icons are available for you to use in Markdown document and field HTML. For example, I tested this with a dummy dimension:

dimension: test_fa {
type: string
sql: '' ;;
html: <i class='fa fa-ambulance'></i> ;;
}

When this is rendered you’ll see the icon in the table:

If you want large icons you can use a single value visualisation.

I’m not sure which version of FA is used but I think the most common icons should be available.

Would you know how to use them in a text tile?

Not sure what you mean by text file - the fontawesome icons are HTML so only work in rendered HTML or Markdown which eventually renders HTML.

I found the way. It’s the same. Thanks

Hey All,

We’ve been using the font awesome icons on our lookml dashboards as shown above but after upgrading our dashboards to dashboards-next they seem to no longer work.
Has anyone had success with using icons on the upgraded dashboards-next?

Thanks,

Rikley

Hey,

Still seeing this issue intermittently. We have some dashboards-next dashboards where the icons work, and some where they don’t. What exactly can we do to get this resolved?

Thanks

-Tate

Userlevel 2

I was just told by Looker Support that Font Awesome icons will no longer be supported. Here’s the full response:

I have heard back from the team and it sounds like font-awesome will ultimately be deprecated, so it is expected that font-awesome does not work on dashboards next. For current use with legacy dashboards, there may be a legacy flag that allows use of font-awesome while teams transition to alternative methods such as using unicode characters or importing images with Looker HTML. I don't know if a specific timeline for when font-awesome will be depreciated, but I can tell you that Looker plans to fully depreciate legacy dashboards in 2022. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a shame : (

Userlevel 1

Has anyone found an alternative to FontAwesome for dashboards-next?
I’d love to reference external resources or at the very least, leverage the icons from the Looker Components library used in the extension framework.