Reading Application Logs using Table Visualizations

I have software application logs streaming into BigQuery for use in Looker. While I can do extractions on the major components (like log level, source server, environment, etc) I’m struggling with making use of Looker’s table visualizations for reading unstructured or long messages.
I happened across the Fastly example on the Looker website, but it looks to be doing just a string with no additional transformations applied for its request object, which I would imagine to be the most comparable situation.

These messages are not structured in such a way that I would create a common LookML definition for every field within them, meaning that I wind up with either hundreds/thousands of character line messages in a single table column. In some cases I have structured json/xml that I’d want to properly visualize in a multi-line manner if possible too. BigQuery permits me to define custom functions with which I can at least format the json objects into properly indented multi-line representations, but I haven’t broached the topic in Looker yet.

ex for displaying more legible json structures.

{"key":"value","another":"thing"}

{
  "key": "value",
  "another": "thing"
}

Additionally, is there a way to disable drilldown clicking on the table visualizations without disabling exploration of the field entirely? With unstructured data again it’s often necessary to copy/paste a subsection of the cell value rather than the entire thing.
ex. selecting the json value out of this object requires a wider selection and trimming down the result when the value is pasted elsewhere.
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 16.20.55

While the above is Table (Legacy) the same applies to the new Table format.
When in Explore, even the Visualization panel does not allow for direct selection - instead requiring you to pop open the textarea panel which needs to be resized manually each time. It also as a side note doesn’t properly scale it’s vertical size - which I think stems from changing the window size during Edit.

Looking for any suggestions on how to make this more usable for this type of use case.

0 0 112
0 REPLIES 0
Top Labels in this Space