Is there an option to redirect links for outdated dashboards?

minerkt
Participant IV

Hi all,

We have a situation where a new dashboard is replacing an old dashboard, however the links to the two are different. 

For reasons that are not worth explaining, we can’t give the new dashboard the same name or url of the old dashboard.

Our goal is to find a solution where if someone clicked:

looker.com/dashboards/model_name::old_dashboard

It would automatically redirect them to:

looker.com/dashboards/model_name::new_dashboard

We know how to achieve this with a “landing page” and a link to the new dashboard, but we would like to take that step out entirely if possible.

Thanks for any help and advice!

4 11 1,034
11 REPLIES 11

Wondering if you ever found a solution for this?

minerkt
Participant IV

Hi @akellet ,

I don’t believe we have.
I have been out of the office for a bit and I will check with the team to see if any solution was found.

barak1
Participant I

Because for now I haven’t found any LookML redirect tool I changed the previous LookML dashboard to be --

- dashboard: dashboard_name
title: dashboard_title
layout: newspaper
preferred_viewer: dashboards-next
description: ''
elements:
- name: 'redirect'
type: text
title_text: ''
subtitle_text: ''
body_text: "# [link to the new dahsboard](https://group.eu.looker.com/dashboards/1)"
row: 0
col: 10
width: 6
height: 2

minerkt
Participant IV

Hi @barak1 ,

Yeah we implemented a similar method to get what we needed.  I am still hoping that there is some redirect method available that way a user with the old link doesn’t even notice that anything has changed.

If any other ideas are out there, still would love to hear them.  Thanks again @barak1 for the suggestion.

IanT
Participant V

What is the reasons you couldn't switcheroo the dashboards that you didn't want to go into? Keen to understand.

minerkt
Participant IV

Hi @IanT ,

To be honest, I don’t remember all of the details right now.  However, one issue was that some users saved the URL of the old dashboard and when creating the new one, we either had to keep the old one around or we had to name the new one something different.  Again my memory is foggy at the moment, but I remember the switcheroo was discuss and not feasible.

barak1
Participant I

Transition from LookML dashboard to regular one

IanT
Participant V

Maybe run the same lookml dashboard on both urls.

barak1
Participant I

Having the same dashboard in two different places is wrong approach IMHO.

IanT
Participant V

Well they are all the wrong approach apart from making the hard switch, if you are going to make people visit a page they then need to click on to move over to the new dashboard then why not run it twice by extending the base dashboard into each of the existing paths. This will mean schedules will still work and its less frustrating for users.

barak1
Participant I

@IanT you are right if both are LookMl dashboards. We are moving out of LookML dashboards.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors