How to stop dashboards being emailed out without the most recent data

bpowis
Participant III

Hi everyone!

I have an ongoing issue with scheduled Looker dashboards and I hoping one of you will be able to help me resolve it!

We send out dashboards every day on a schedule (data group trigger), however, if a Looker uses views the dashboard in the morning before the schedule is sent out, everyone get’s sent that early version of the dashboard, without any data in it!

Is it possible to force Looker to refresh the dashboard before sending it out, or any way to stop users caching an incorrect version of the report?

Thanks for your help,
Ben

1 4 1,403
4 REPLIES 4

Dawid
Participant V

What kind of caching settings do you use in your view file?

I do agree that the schedules should have an option to run it with clear cache

bpowis
Participant III

Hi @Dawid

I am using a 24 hour cache on my view. I could change this of course, but I don;t really want the incurred cost of everything caching for less time just to fix this dashboard.

I’ve just tried disabling ‘Run on load’ for this dashboard to see if this helps - another more extreme alternate would be to set the dashboard to auto refresh (say every 10 minutes) to hopefully catch a refresh of the data before the schedule.

Ben

IanT
Participant V

The model/explore/pdt should persist with the Datagroup. When the Datagroup trigger fires all old cache is invalid for that model and the schedule also hanging from the dg runs fresh.

jonf
Participant I

I extended the explore where I’m getting data for my schedules. Then I set the persist_for attribute to 0 for that new explore, so it never uses cached data, and use it exclusively for schedules.

explore: original_explore {
view_name: my_view

join: my_other_view{
relationship: ...
sql_on: ... ;;
}

}

explore: extended_explore{
hidden: yes
extends: [original_explore]
persist_for: "0 seconds"
}