How to sort stacked bars by overall descending (instead of for each date)

Hi all, 

I am pretty confident in Looker, but I wanted to see if there is a better way of doing this. When I have a bar chart that is pivoting on another dimension, I almost always need the stacks to be ordered descending, however, the default behaviour in Looker is to sort based on the values within that particular date. This means that the stacked elements jump around a lot and makes it hard to see consistent change. 

So my only options are either to have default sort and the stacks are not organised by volume at all:

de7f86cd-0c40-4c07-8c76-002d2de5fb14.png

Or to have them stacked by volume and then the stacks can look chaotic:

03f40a49-af01-422f-b6b2-bf0b70aab6dd.png

I know that there is a “hackaround” using derived ranking tables, but doing this for every chart and every view is a pain in the butt. I really feel like this is relatively simple and should be a chart setting, not something that requires building and joining yet another view (too many solutions to simple problems require a new view, which overcomplicates models, in my humble opinion, so I would like to se more feature development to address common issues like this). 

Any suggestions or an ability to make this a feature request would be great. 

1 1 1,274
1 REPLY 1

I'm currently facing the same issue. I just want to sort the stack by column-totals, so that the brand that has over the timeframe the highest turnover is always at the bottom or top of the stack. 
And I agree, I really dont want to do this by further complicating the view. It should be a visualization thing. 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors