How to hide left sidebar of Enhanced Navigation?

Vitaliy
Participant I

Not relevant

0 11 2,488
11 REPLIES 11

Hey Vitaliy - please “like” the pendo feature request here so that we can get more traction! Thank you

masutaka
Participant IV

I liked the request too!

New UI is NOT cool… ?

You can hide the left sidebar by clicking on the icon with three horizontal lines (the “☰” symbol) immediately to the left of the Looker logo.

ede72ecf-82d9-4826-bb50-fe12b857fa66.png

Learn more about enhanced navigation at https://docs.looker.com/sharing-and-publishing/finding-content

New UI is NOT cool… ?

Do you have any specific feedback?

masutaka
Participant IV

Do you have any specific feedback?

• More clicks compared to the previous UI
  • The new UI remembers the state, so I'm confused for a moment and my thoughts stop

The issue is that my stakeholders don’t know to use the three lines via enhanced navigation. When they look at the dashboard, the side navigation bar is always defaulted to open and scrunches all of the graphs. It would be great if there was a way to default the side navigation bar to closed.

mike1231
Participant I

+1 for the above. The nav bar on the left takes up a large portion of the screen and people shouldn’t have to make the effort to hide it every time they view a dashboard.

In addition to this the filters at the top of a dashboard don’t auto hide when you scroll so the real estate that your dashboard is displayed is drastically reduced compared to the old nav. You can hide the filters but clicking on them to unhide them, make a change to a filter, and then click to hide them again but this is quite tedious for people to do.

Hi Mike, happy new year! I know I am delayed here but have you found a solution to hide or disable the nav bar; in my POV, it is messing up a big area of the screen and all the time popping up, covering the underneath information. Thanks a lot.

Hey,

Happy new year to you too! We've not found a solution to hiding the nav bar. I don't remember how it used to look in 2022 but it seems to be less of an issue now, or perhaps we've just got used to it.

-Mike

IanT
Participant V

Whilst we are at it, whats the point in moving the navigation items (browse, explore, develop) but leaving the empty white bar there, at least claw this space back and put it to some use.

JohnRomanski
Participant III

+1000 for the feedback on the new UI. 

I can only expect Looker 23 to add new ribbons to the top and bottom, leaving us with a pinhole.

Looker’s visualization options have stagnated the last several years, leaving a huge opportunity for the next player to emerge. (Looking at you Lightdash, redash, superset)

I've come across an interesting fact that when we use link parameter as a drill in option to navigate from one dashboard to other and when I click on the link (provided the left side panel is collapsed in the current dashboard), I get to the destination dashboard with the left side panel collapsed. But that doesn't happen with an anchor tag in an HTML attribute snippet.

I suspect link attribute retains the memory of left side panel collapsed in some form and pass it on the the url (encoded) which is not happening in anchor tag or normal dashboard switch.

I would appreciate if Looker can correct or support my point on this 'Left Side Panel collapse by default'  discussion

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors