How to enable tooltip for dimension/measure so description will display to the user when they mouse over object name in look (Table)

kshah7
Participant IV

I have description added for mesure and dimensions but that is only available when user do explore and hover over ‘i’ icon next to object name. Is it possible to have that description available as tooltip in Look, when user hover over name of the object?

2 21 9,098
21 REPLIES 21

Hi @kshah7,

So, for example, on my local instance I have some baseball stats. I have a measure with a description:
00a0818d3372aa266866f7ead9ce874422b82756.png

and a column graph that has the player name dimension and that measure, Total RBIs:

Where were you thinking the description for the measure to show? On the Y-Axis where it says Batting Total RBIs?

Cheers,
Vincent

kshah7
Participant IV

Currently I am using table as visulization. So I want to display description of the measures when user either click on the measure name or mouse over it.

Hi @kshah7,

That is currently not possible but is something I can loop in my Product team with. You might, however, get around it with something like this although it is a little hacky.

Cheers,
Vincent

kmahamk
Participant I

Can you please let us know if this Tool tip functionality for Dimensions is now available/ will be available in a future release?

Hello @kmahamk,

This functionality was released with version 4.14, so it’s available for use right now as long as your version has been updated.

Just add a description to the dimension you want to add the tooltip to like so:

• dimension: dimension_name
    type: string
    sql: ${TABLE}.dimension_field
    description: “Put whatever description of the dimension or measure you would like here! :D”

Let us know if this you need further help with this issue! Enjoy your weekend!

Best,
Will Adams

Hi Adam,

I want to add a tooltip for a calculated column in a table. How can I do that?

Thanks,
SK

Hi @Swang2!

Currently it is only possible to add the tooltip to measures and dimensions in the LookML. I will definitely pass your feedback along to the product team and let them know this would be something you would like to see.

Best,
Peter

Hi,

does the description show up in a visualisation other than table too and if yes where do I have to hover over?

Best
Richard

Hi @richard_knobloc – It is not currently possible for the description to appear in a visualization. I’ll let our product team know that this is something you’d like to see.

Thanks,
Carl

Hi @carl_saffron - Any progress with displaying tooltips for table calcs?
Thanks,
Abhijit

Cnatlb
Participant I

Any update on this?

elinvangbo
Participant I

It would be oh so great if you could custom make both text and values to show in the tooltip. If you could, for example, mix text and values and display something like: 

In {month} sales were {total_sales} with a profit margin of {profit_margin}

It would be really really helpful, I need this functionality! 

Is it possible to get tooltip on collapsible tree vis?

any update on this? any way to add tooltip to table dimensions or measures or calculated fields?

@kshah7 is this what you are after? Looks like it is possible for table and other visualisations 🙂
requires html and some injection to get dynamic value change etc

ebfd0828-8872-4835-a384-5a2e3db6b560.png

@Marcin1 could you share how you manage to customize the message on hover? is it able to take row level customization? 

Thanks

@kshah7 is this what you are after? Looks like it is possible for table and other visualisations 🙂
requires html and some injection to get dynamic value change etc

ebfd0828-8872-4835-a384-5a2e3db6b560.png

how?

the following seems to work - The title is what you see in the mouseover.

@joserebelo @salman_saleem 

html: <a title={{ viewname.fieldname._rendered_value }}> {{rendered_value }} </a> ;;

How can I add this html code above?

@cjlaumans isn’t working for some reason

@i-plotnikov I just double checked and for me it’s still working.

Here’s my dimension and a screenshot of the result. The dimension is for the `subject` column, and the html is used to display the `questions.question` value on mouseover.

dimension: star_subject_demo {
type: string
sql: ${TABLE}.subject ;;
label: "Subject"
group_label: "Subject (incl. link to deepdive dashboard)"
group_item_label: "Stars/Numbers (Demo - delete later)"
view_label: "Question"
link: {
label: "@{grid_drilldown_dashboard_label}"
url: "@{grid_star_drilldown_dashboard_url}"
}
html: <a title={{ questions.question._rendered_value }}> {{rendered_value }} </a> ;;
}

c4c1d443-a35f-4dbc-a768-d5b8292fe2c6.png
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors