How to: Bulk edit Looks on a Dashboard

I want to share my approach to bulk editing Looks in a Dashboard. Sometime you have to move Looks on a Dashboard to a new Model or Explorer. You could of course open every look using “Explore from Here” and modify the URL and then re-add it to the dashboard, but if you have many Looks that is extremely inefficient.

I have come up with a new process to bulk edit Looks using LookML Dashboards:

1. Create LookML Dashboard

Open the settings on the Dashboard you are trying to bulk edit and click “Get Dashboard LookML”.

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 16.58.49

Copy the LookML into your clipboard and head over to your File browser. Click on the three dots and select “Create Dashboard”.

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 17.01.03

Name your file and paste the LookML into the new .dashboard file.

1. Bulk edit LookML Dashboard

Let’s say you want to replace the model and explore on all Looks. Simply find and replace all “model: XZY” and “explore: ABC”.

Once you have made all the changes, save your LookML Dashboard file and include the path to the file in the model you are referencing.

You might get some warnings if there are fields and filters that don’t exist in the new model or explore. Update or delete those fields and filters as necessary.

1. Convert to User-Defined Dashboard

Once pushed, you can select the arrow next to the Dashboard name and click "View Dashboard

view_dash

As you can see this LookML Dashboard cannot be edited through the UI, so we will convert it back to a user-defined Dashboard.

Click on the gear icon in the Dashboard and chose “Copy to LookML into a folder”

copy_to_folder

Select the folder where you want to copy , and hit “Copy & View”.

The LookML Dashboard has now been converted back to a User-Defined Dashboard.

Hope this helps you to batch edit dashboards in the future!

blue

1 0 1,563
0 REPLIES 0
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors