Filled dimension error when downloading PDF of a Dashboard

Wondering if anybody had a similar problem. The Dashboard runs completely fine, all the tiles are executing correctly but when exporting, I’m getting:

query failed: Missing values for 'view_name.field' were not filled. Only one dimension is allowed when filling in missing rows.

I thought I would solve it by adding “allow_fill: no” to the dimension, which was okay in my case, as the field is a N-ranking but it turns out the field it complains about is a yes/no field is_top_n

How can this error relate to a yes/no dimension?

Adding “allow_fill:no” to the “is_top_n” does not help

0 10 940
10 REPLIES 10

I had to go to all the fields and manually select “Remove  Filled in Yes/No Values” even though I would also get an error: 

Missing values for 'view_name.is_top_n' were not filled. It is unclear what values to fill for this field.

I am confused : )

Hi Dawid, 

I’m sorry you were experiencing that. Were any of the queries edited via the API? I was able to reproduce this last year by having a query where only one dimension was selected, so dimension_fill was turned on automatically. I then added a dimension via the API, but did not change the argument for dimension fill to “off.” The query looked fine in a dashboard, but if you went to “Explore from here” you could see the warning on the explore page. Would this by any chance explain what you are seeing? 

No, I don’t use API at all

Dawid, this actually just happened to me today when I had a dimension using dimension fill and then added a custom dimension. Are you by any chance using a custom dimension? 

No, that was a dimension set in LookML because I was trying to fix it by adding allow_fill: no

Oh! I meant in your query, did you add a custom dimension in the explore? 

Honestly I don’t remember now but I very rarely have them, especially when used in Dashboard, so very unlikely I did.

Gotcha; I assume you have since resolved the error and can download your dashboard? 

I think I had to change things to not have it, I can’t remember what Dashboard it was anymore

@margaret_abercr I looked at Queries panel in Admin and found that some of my users have had similar problem

ee425ddf-9096-4d0e-aebd-42733f2efd30.png

Interesting! 
I would recommend checking that content to see if there is an explore warning with the same message. I have a suspicion that it was Looker had something with dimension fill, and another dimension was added (like a custom dimension), and the dimension fill didn’t properly remove itself. 

Top Labels in this Space