Drill to explicit LookML dashboard without enabling lab feature?

Hi there,

I’m trying to figure out how I might enable my users to drill to a specific LookML dashboard from a measure without enabling the “drill to dashboards” lab feature (I suspect that enabling this feature would have unintended consequences in our deployments for various reasons).

I thought I could probably do this with the link parameter but I haven’t been able to emulate the visual experience of a Looker dashboard drill (the “drilled” content is contained in a modal). Is there a way to do this though drill_fields and the link parameter? Being able to drill to the dashboard versus an adhoc rendered visualization would really help in this particular context.

Thank you.

0 3 310
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Ryan! You can use a combo of HTML and Liquid to enable drilldowns, for any measure. We employ this, and create a child dashboard with the same filters as the parent dashboard, then pass the parent parameters to the child via the URL.

This help page link describes the technique:

Hi Steve–thank you!

I think I follow and have implemented a similar approach, but I would really like to be able to have the drilled content contained in a modal, similar to how some other drills seem to work. Maybe I’m missing something.

Here’s what my measure looks like. I’ve experimented with using the “html” parameter in lieu of “link” but they seem to behave similarly (full page refresh); “link” seems to have the added benefit of being inserted into the drill menu, which I think our users prefer.

measure: count_link {
  description: "Total interactions per location, month and category, shown as a link"
  type: sum
  sql: ${TABLE}.interaction_count ;;
  link: {
    label: "Drill as column chart"
    url: "/dashboards/interactions_model::monthly_interaction_summary_breakdown?cycle_month={{ _filters['agg_interaction_breakdown.cycle_month'] | url_encode }}"
  }
}

Both the parent and child dashboard have a global filter for “cycle_month”.

Thanks for your help.

Got it. I’m not sure then, unfortunately.

To my knowledge, HTML Liquid can be used to insert filter parameters into any Looker URL (or URL period for that matter), thus if you can find a static Look or Modal link to insert parameters into, there’s probably a way to fit your use case.

For example, I believe there’s a unique URL generated for each specific Chart Type/Explore/Filter permutation - i.e. bar chart from explore X w/ filters Y will have a static URL - thus you probably can still use Liquid to pass any values you want from parent filters to a child Modal.

That said, I’ve never tried pushing filters into a model (or Look for that matter), so am just speculating. Good luck, and let me know if you figure this one out!

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors