Download to Excel - "Refusing to run query with no limit that Looker cannot stream incrementally."

I regularly download data from a Look (Excel format, With visualization options applied, Formatted, All Results).

In the last few days, rather than the expected data, this message is provided in the spreadsheet:  Refusing to run query with no limit that Looker cannot stream incrementally. Please choose a smaller limit or remove table calculations.

I’ve decreased the Row Limit from 500 to 250 to 100 to 25 to 24 (the exact number of data rows for a particular download), and still receive this message.  Another data set had just one data row, and with a Row Limit of 1, still garnered this message.

Is anyone else having this issue?  What is occurring, and how do I fix it?

Thank you!

Solved Solved
1 3 1,459
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

n_davis
Participant V

The problem is the ‘all results’ as part of the selection. You have to define results in the download, and say how many rows to download (500, 1,000 etc).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

n_davis
Participant V

The problem is the ‘all results’ as part of the selection. You have to define results in the download, and say how many rows to download (500, 1,000 etc).

I tried downloading via both “Current result table” and “Custom”, and both successfully downloaded the data without the “Refusing to run query” message.  My primary concern is resolved--thank you!

However, “Custom” successfully downloaded the data without changing its default of 5000 rows and 50 columns.  Why wouldn’t a smaller data set of 24 rows and 15 columns not work for “All results”?  I ask simply for understanding, as this is a new issue.  We’ve previously always successfully chosen “All results”.

It looks like this is related to a legacy feature which has been removed.

https://community.looker.com/technical-tips-tricks-1021/error-refusing-to-run-query-with-large-limit...

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors