Does Looker have a way of making currency conversions?

Hi! 

We got a dashboard that is currently on Mexican pesos. However, we want to see if there is a way we can have that dimension converted into USD dollars. We don't want to just make a multiplication because the rate between pesos and dollars is always changing. Does looker have a way to automatically do this? Or do I need a table with all conversion rates?

Solved Solved
0 1 1,072
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Of course you can have it but you need to build it yourself. Looker doesn’t have any external provider’s data available (apart from few map layers). It means that you need to make few steps in your data model first and it all starts with currency conversion data in your data warehouse. 

We did just that and then added two columns (fx_rate_eur and fx_rate_usd) to main entities’ models. In Looker I created a parameter that’s used across different explores (using so called bare view) and it selects a column to make the conversion like ${measure} / ${fx_rate}  where the ${fx_rate} is populated using liquid

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Of course you can have it but you need to build it yourself. Looker doesn’t have any external provider’s data available (apart from few map layers). It means that you need to make few steps in your data model first and it all starts with currency conversion data in your data warehouse. 

We did just that and then added two columns (fx_rate_eur and fx_rate_usd) to main entities’ models. In Looker I created a parameter that’s used across different explores (using so called bare view) and it selects a column to make the conversion like ${measure} / ${fx_rate}  where the ${fx_rate} is populated using liquid

Top Labels in this Space