Custom Visualization - Options

I find this (https://github.com/looker/custom_visualizations_v2/blob/master/docs/api_reference.md#organizing-opti...) list to be incomplete, in particular how can I :

1. Organize options in “sub-section” (e.g. Hide Legend and Legend Align, in native Line chart Looker visualization, have a nice “LEGEND---------” above them, making the options inside the Plot section tidier.
  2. Make an option appear / disappear depending on a boolean option (e.g., once again the native Line chart, where if Hide Legend is toggled, then the Align Legend disappear).

Any help with this?

tentatively tagging @RichardCzechows as he seems pretty knowledgeable regarding this (looking at this answer Options for custom visualization)

1 2 1,326
2 REPLIES 2

I’ve left a comprehensive answer here: https://github.com/looker/custom_visualizations_v2/issues/130#issuecomment-584771699

but I’ll copy it over for convenience.

1. For subsections the only thing I could think of is very hacky. If you create an option with a label, but give it a “display” property that we don’t recognize, it will just fail to render the option except for the label.

2. For hiding and showing we do allow a boolean property called “hidden” which I don’t know if we’ve documented. For your case we just need to be able to toggle “hidden” between true and false for a given option. Since we have the “registerOptions” ability we should be able to watch for a certain value to change and set our “hidden” property accordingly.

I’ve written an example vis that shows how this works in practice.

looker.plugins.visualizations.add({
  options: {
    // This is the value we'll watch to hide or show our chart type dropdown
    hide_chart_type: {
      type: "boolean",
      label: "flip me to hide the chart type",
      order: 1
    },
    // I've set a divider between the two options with a label
    my_section: {
      type: "string",
      label: "------------ I'm a section -----------",
      display: "divider", // This string is arbitrary it's just choosing an option that doesn't exist
      order: 2
    },
    // We've started this option as hidden and can toggle it on with the above option
    chart_type: {
      type: "string",
      label: "Chart type",
      values: [
        {"Bar": "Bar"},
        {"Line": "Line"},
        {"Pie": "Pie"}
      ],
      display: "radio",
      default: "Bar",
      order: 3,
      hidden: true
    },
  },
  create: function(element, _config) {
       // Set up the initial state of the visualization (noop in this case)
  },
  updateAsync: function(data, element, config, queryResponse, details, done) {
    const options = { ...this.options }
    options.chart_type.hidden = !config.hide_chart_type
    this.trigger('registerOptions', options)

done()
  }
});

Thanks @RichardCzechows for your quick answer. I am trying to implement the first part of your solution (the hackish way to have the sub section), but I have a problem:
What should I use as “type”?
If I don’t put any type (or if I use a non-existent one) then the “LEGEND” doesn’t appear, if I use string, number or boolean, the word LEGEND appear but alongside with the white box to input string and numbers, or the toggle, in the case of boolean…

[EDIT] Solved, Thanks, there was a typo in “display”

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors