Create a custom measure with fields from 2 different views

I am trying to create a custom measure to calculate the days from when a customer first signed up to when they made an order. I have two views: 1. Customers (dimension) 2. Orders (fact) that are joined to create an Orders explore. For each time an order takes place, I want to know how many days it has been since the customer signed up. I created a custom dimension using diff_days(order_date, signup_date) = days_since_signup but now when I try and aggregate the dimension to get an average it gives me the error Measure "average_of_days_since_signup" depends on fields from multiple views which is not supported for custom measures.

How can I achieve this without having to model it in the data?

9 4 2,054
4 REPLIES 4

having this same issue. very frustrating that we cant sum on custom dimensions that reference different views. 

Is there a reason you can’t do it in LookML?

Same problem.

@Dawid, because not all the users have access to LookML and/or because I don't want to expose a measure that makes sense only for a specific dashboard

What about Table Calculations? I know it will produce different dataset as you'd still need granular data in your table, so it's highly unlikely but I don't know what kidn of output you're seeking anyway. Apart from that there's no other way. Not sure what's the reason by not allowing different views in Custom Measures, shouldn't be that hard

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors