Concerns with the new Field Picker UI

We tried switching to the new Looker Field Picker UI.

While the In Use feature was really useful, we found the overall experience a bit buggy and have temporarily rolled it back on our code base.

A few concerns include:

• Truncation of fields names;
    The new field picker UI appears to be limiting each field to a single line of text. If it cannot be displayed, it truncates the text. This makes it very difficult to identify the field that needs to be picked especially in dimension groups like shown in picture. There doesn’t appear to be any way to expand the field picker box as well. This caused a lot of confusion among users trying to choose a field from the explore. Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 3.46.26 PM

• The loss of hover over tool tip feature:
    t. Now, we have to click on the i to view it and it appears along with the SQL logic which I feel is redundant for most of our business users who primarily are users of the explores

The field truncation is especially a sore point since it would result in us having to retroactively change field names in a lot of our code to make it appear within one line. In some cases, this might not even be feasible since the name of the field can’t be reduced any further.

Are anyone else facing these same issues?

Can someone from Looker Product , help suggest ways to mitigate this? Are there any fixes to these issues in the pipeline? Will we be able to stick with the old Field Picker UI?

3 9 464
9 REPLIES 9

@izzymiller thought the new release pretty much-fixed issues on Looker UI

Hey Babu, could you clarify what you mean there? I know we changed some things about the new field picker UI in the latest version, not sure if that’s what you’re referring to.

And @Siddhaarth_S, we’re aware of that truncation issue and working on it 🙂. Thank you for reporting (and for letting us know that the in use functionality was useful!)

I’m happy to see this thread! I agree with @Siddhaarth_S. I’d also add that sometimes existing fields do not appear in the search which is quite painful!
Thanks!

similar problem in the development mode with File browser. Since it seems not to be possible to resize or scale when browser window is resized some view names in our model are truncated.

Hi, would like to know, is there any progress on this matter?

Hi @Siddhaarth_S ! Thanks for trying out the new field picker and sharing your feedback. A couple of updates on the issues you mentioned:

• Truncation: We’ve been partnering closely with our Components team to implement support for a truncation state, which is available in versions 7.20+. If a field is truncated, a user will be able to hover over it to see the full field name.
  • Info Tooltip: The new context popover is contextual based on a user’s permissions, so the SQL should only show up for users that have the develop permission. On the click vs. hover - we’re definitely evaluating this and will share updates as we continue to make improvements.

Feel free to reach out as you have more feedback! We implemented a lot of UX improvements in 7.20 and would love to hear what you think.

@Evelina_Judeiky Thanks for your feedback! Sorry to hear about issues with the field search - can you share more detail about what you were searching for, and what was missing from the results? Feel free to share directly with us at looker-explore@google.com as well - any detail you can provide will help us to improve the search experience.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors