Question

Chart tooltip annotations

• 3 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

Is there any way to make a value appear in the tooltips on a chart but not plotted on the chart itself? The obvious example here is being able to provide the numerator and denominator values that result in a plotted derivative metric.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi Ross! I want to get a better flavor of your use case here. You can turn off value labels for your chart using the Edit panel to the right of the visualization if you don’t want them to appear on your chart, and the tooltips will always show the series value. There isn’t currently a way to control what the tooltips show beyond that, but that is a good idea and I will pass that along to the product team.

Userlevel 3

Here’s my use case:

Say you have a line chart plotting the daily conversion rate. I’d like to be able to mouse over a given day and see the total counts (and even, say unique counts) of the component metrics. (37 purchases, 30 unique purchasers, 1,211 visits, 989 unique visitors). However, I don’t want those component metrics plotted on the chart itself - just present on the tooltip which appears when you mouse over a component. This allows you to present richer data to the data consumer without needing to create additional charts.

This feature is available & very useful in tools like Periscope .

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks Ross! That is an excellent use case; I will pass it on to the product team for more context.

Userlevel 2

@ross Would this work for you? Displaying values from other fields in the tooltip

Userlevel 2

Would be great to have this for table visualization