Can a user annotate the given chart in looker?

I see some of our in-house bi/visualization tool built with PHP has a functionality that enables a user to annotate charts, for example, if there is a uptick or drop from a certain threshold, the user can annotate as they find/comment on it. How do we achieve it in looker?

6 7 2,572
7 REPLIES 7

I don’t think there’s this feature but you can go around and do this! One article written by Looker staff, Zachary Michel, wrote a very detailed post regarding “Displaying values from other fields in the tooltip”. Check it out at Displaying values from other fields in the tooltip.

Hope this helps! 🙂

If you want to write a side comment, you can do so in the dashboard.

What are the technical hurdles (impractical or so) in achieving it in the current or future release? If you could reflect a bit more.

Can external/client users viewing their dashboard comment to my team internally? @nicholaswongsg

jpklwr
Participant II

As far as I’m aware, that is not an available feature.

This feature is available in Domo and is quite handy, it will be very powerful for the looker to allow users to add commentary to a particular bar or a chart. 

If you want to write a side comment, you can do so in the dashboard.

what is a side comment? I haven’t seen people using this yet. is this like side-comments in google docs right-hand margin?

It'd be nice to be able to add a reference line to the x-axis, one that could be labeled and styled. 

In my example, I'd like to add dashed lines titled 'impacted by holiday' on an x-axis of a time series chart. It seems like it should work like `Edit -> X -> Add Reference Line`,  then select  a dashed line, then add an x-series value, like `5/29/2023`, and named like `Memorial Day`

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors