Boxplot lacking options

Hi, everyone. I find myself constantly trying to do things with box-plot visualization and not being able to do simple things due to it’s lack of options and customization. I’d like to ask if some of these functionalities would be possible in box-plot or at least if I could do something similar in a different type of visualization.

I’m trying to analyze confidence intervals in Looker, and I’m using the box-plot visualization, as it seems to me it’s the only viz appropriate for this (I accept suggestions of other viz types). My data consists of a single dimension with multiple experiments (multiple rows whereas each one is a different experiment), and each experiment has a measure for lower and upper values of the confidence interval, and the mean (so its 1 dimension and 3 measures). So in the end, I’d have multiple box-plots, each one showing 3 measures.

1. Is it possible to add a reference line in boxplots? For example, I’d like to add a reference line at “0” value for my confidence interval
  2. Is it possible to color each box differently? I’d like to color code the boxplots that stand below “0”
  3. Can I transpose the visualization? For example, I want to see the box-plot horizontally instead of vertically?

In case it’s impossible to do these things in a box-plot visualization, I’d like to request these features on Looker.

Also, I’d love to hear suggestions on how I could proceed with this using a different viz type… Maybe even custom visualizations (I searched about this but didn’t find any boxplot as well).

Thanks a lot!

3 1 834
1 REPLY 1

Hi,

Sorry it’s not a resolution but I would really like to use all three of the features that you are asking about too!

I’d like to include the mean.

Hoping someone can take a look at this because the options are pretty much nonexistent as far as I can see.

Is there something we can do in HTML?

Cheers

Sarah

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors