Question

Adding Markdown Document to a Dashboard

• 11 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to make our instance much more of a self-service tool by making dashboards and looks much more easy to find.

To do this I have thought about building a “table of contents” that can be used to navigate and provide context and inform users what is available to view.

Ideally it would be great if I could add a markdown document to a dashboard (Text boxes seem to be limited compared to a regular markdown document). Does anyone know if this is possible?

Other thoughts have been making a dummy dimension that will house a bunch of HTML code (this would be more arduous and take much more coding).

4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Kyle,

Great questions/commenting I’ve noticed from you, thank you for contributing to discourse here!

Regarding this question a few things come to mind but don’t quite hit what you’re asking but let’s use these as a point to orient around.

We’ve had the html markdown home page option for some time now and could provide you with a default page to start where your users can self identify based on the role listed and the content linked (see the example in this discourse)

Another option would be to enable the newer thumbnail homepage option and use the sidebar to put a table of contents at the top right for users to reference

Hopefully one of these options does the trick for you but if there’s something that remains a blocker for you please let us know and I’ll be happy to document it for our product team!

Userlevel 1

Hi Jiro,

Thank you for the ideas! I have wanted to utilize the thumbnail homepage but many users are comfortable with the current set up. I will give a shot with the html markdown home page option as I think this might be the way to go. I will let you know how it goes!

Best,

Kyle

Userlevel 2

Sounds like a plan! I hope that does it, happy to continue the discussion here though after you get some feedback on it 🙂

Can you post a link to the markdown syntax that generates the table of contents page? I am looking for examples.