Lost Files After VM Edit

So I recently edited a VM that I've been running a minecraft server on, and when I went back to the machine, my directories were empty. Now I think this makes sense, because by editing the machine, I've basically just switched computers. But are the files from that directory not saved onto the SSD persistent disk that I formatted and mounted at the beginning? Are these files recoverable?

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @MinecraftSteve,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

What specific changes did you make to the instance? Did you happen to click the "Reset" button? Were you using a preemptible VM instance?

Upgrading a machine type should not result in data loss unless the instance is part of a Managed Instance Group. If you had configured Local SSDs on your instance, you may refer to this documentation for information on data retention.

I hope this helps. You may always contact Google Cloud Support to check your project directly. Thanks.

Hi Lawrencenelson! I stopped the VM, went into edit mode, and added more RAM to the machine type.

I did the exact same thing, and now all my files are missing 😞 

Did you end up getting your files back?

Hi, did you use local/additional disk for your files/minecraft files? If so, you may want to re-mount the disk to your desired directory.

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/disks/local-ssd#stop_instance 

I used to have that problem when editing VM's CPU and RAM, but turns out all I gotta do is re-mount my disk to the dedicated directory (in my case it's /home/Minecraft), and the files are back.

rafirm29_0-1715054271876.png

This was the disk I used. Hope it helps